12/06/2017

Silent Auction


I made a sketchbook very similar to this one with a smoother leather for our church's silent auction Sunday night.  The auction was to pay for a charter bus for our Youth Group's mission trip next Spring.



When we arrived at church, Wayne and I went through the auction looking for treasures we might want to bid on, but also to see how well our items were doing for the youth group.  Wayne's malachite bracelet was doing well!   My sketchbook had a long list of entries.






When I looked closer, every other bid had the same name on it.  I had to ask who this was!  I was surprised to find out it was a young man in our youth group who desperately wanted the sketchbook.  He was hovering over the book, and every time someone wrote down their bid, he went back and outbid them by a dollar.  I asked him if he was an artist, not knowing if he wanted the book for himself or to give as a gift.  He said he wanted to be an artist.  He said he needed a good sketchbook to practice in.  He was really excited when intermission was over and his name was the last one on the bidding sheet.

It really made my day to know that my sketchbook not only helped the Youth Group, but it went to someone who will enjoy it.  It is exciting to me to be able to encourage a new artist.  I hope I get to see some of his work sometime. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story!

Gramma's Studio

  In my last post I mentioned that my granddaughter was coming for a visit and we were going to go through the cabinets in my studio.  I als...