8/08/2017

Trip to North Carolina

I just returned from a trip to North Carolina to see my daughter, son-in-law and 3 grandkids!  This was the first sketch of my trip from the window of the plane.  
Sketching  made the flight go by quickly!  
I used watercolor pencils and water brushes in my new handmade sketchbook! I had never tried it before, but instead of coloring on the page and then using the water brush to blend the color, I used the brush to pick up the color from the tip of the pencil. 



I had a wonderful visit and enjoyed spending time with the kids.  I can't wait to see them all again!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep! You're WAY AHEAD OF ME! ha! I KNEW there would be sketches! BEAUTIFUL color technique!

imdiane said...

Glad you had a good visit and you're home safe and sound. What a cool technique! I have some watercolor pencils, but never had rge nerve to touch water to the drawings. I might try your idea.

The Constantines said...

Nice, Dawn. Nice! Did you get to the Atlantic while in NC? If not, it's worth a trip over to the Outer Banks. Your newly discovered technique would be great for the dunes, mists, and light.

Giddings Art said...

Leslieleisel, I knew you'd ask for sketches! 😀

Giddings Art said...

Imdiane, Try a test piece. You will be amazed what putting water to watercolor pencil will do! The colors just melt and become more vivid and beautiful. Keep a piece of paper towel nearby to blot if there is too much water. But the brush to pencil method also works well. It worked very well in the cramped space in the plane. Especially because the guy in front of me laid his seat back and his head was almost in my lap.

Giddings Art said...

Thank you, Constantines! No Atlantic this time. Will try to get there next visit.

Gramma's Studio

  In my last post I mentioned that my granddaughter was coming for a visit and we were going to go through the cabinets in my studio.  I als...