10/06/2017

My Dad,

 James A. Prophater, Jr. 

May 13, 1923 to October 4, 2017




Celebration of Life
Tuesday, October 10, 2017
11:00 am
Chapel Hill Funeral Home
8701 NW Expressway
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73162
(405) 721-3182



No man has ever been loved by all of his children more than my Dad.  

Dad was a Commercial Artist for over 50 years specializing in airbrush retouching. He amazed us with his work as he cleaned up tires and trucks and everything else for catalogs, billboards and other advertisements. When I was a kid, instead of working overtime in downtown Pittsburgh at the Studio he worked for, he would bring his work home on the bus and work in a studio he set up in his and Mom's bedroom so he could be with us.  He was home for dinner every night at 6:00pm. While he worked at night, I remember sitting on their bed, talking for hours about whatever was important to me at the time.  He would listen quietly while I rattled on and on and just about the time I thought he wasn't listening, he would make a comment that let me know he had heard everything.



This painting of Dad was done by an Artist who worked with Dad.



My drawing of Dad's hand


 He was very funny, always able to find the humor in every situation. We all inherited that trait, however, it has it's downside.  We have all been known to get the giggles at the most inappropriate times!!  And during those times the rest of us look at the ceiling or floor and bite our lips, lest we join in.  There is no stopping us then.

There was only one shoe store in Pittsburgh where Dad could find shoes narrow enough to fit his size 12 feet. They were expensive so he wore them until he had big holes in the soles.  I asked him once how he kept his socks dry with that hole in the sole.  He said he didn't.  Not once did he ever complain!

Our Dad was always encouraging us to develop the talents God gave us.  Many of his kids and grandkids inherited his art talent.....especially my brother, Stephen.  He was proud of all of our accomplishments and was always genuinely interested in all that we did. 

The times that we disappointed him (which in our hearts was worse than any spanking), we never questioned whether he loved us.  He told us daily that he loved us.  He kissed us goodbye each morning and kissed us hello every evening. Recently, he grabbed hold of me and hugged me for a very long time.  He knew his time was short and I needed a hug that would last me until I see him again.

He shared his faith with us daily as well.  It was easy to accept the love of our Heavenly Father when we already knew what unconditional love felt like.  He has always prayed over each of us every morning and with us every time we were together.

 Dad served his country with the Army in the Philippines during WWII, 







Mom and Dad around the time they got married in 1943



The medals Dad was awarded during WWII




Dad enjoyed his train set.  He set up an elaborate train track with a small town and roads every year at Christmas.



 
Dad and me just before he walked me down the aisle to marry Wayne!



Dad with 3 of his 4 girls.  


Our hearts are filled with sadness that we will be parted for a time.  But we have the assurance that we will see him again in Heaven along with our Mom.  

Our family appreciates the notes and messages we have received. 

3 comments:

Judy Warner said...

So sorry for your loss. Take care.

Diane J. Evans said...

Dawn --

My deepest sympathy on the loss of your beloved father. It seems as though you had that special bond between a father and daughter that is so very rare and so deeply cherished. I hope your loving memories of him will sustain you through the days and weeks to come -- I'm sure he knew how much you loved him.

Diane

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to our Dad. Thank you for this.

Gramma's Studio

  In my last post I mentioned that my granddaughter was coming for a visit and we were going to go through the cabinets in my studio.  I als...