7/10/2019

Crystallized Ginger

We have been very busy the past few weeks!  The highlight was my sweet little sister, her husband and their 3 young sons spending a couple nights with us over the 4th of July.  We had a wonderful,  noisy,  fun filled time with them!

So, now that things are quieter here,  I decided to make some crystallized ginger today.  I like to have some on hand for settling my stomach and it's supposed to be good for inflammation.  I bought some fresh ginger at the grocery store and peeled it with a spoon.  My new knives are  so sharp (and dangerous!)  I found that I can scrape the peel off with the edge of a spoon.  It doesn't waste any of the root that way (and it's much safer!) 😊




Next, I wear my cut-proof gloves (a Christmas gift from my son and daughter-in-law), and thinly slice the ginger on my mandolin.




This is roughly 1Lb. Of ginger.




Next, it goes into 5 cups of water to boil for about 35 minutes until tender.




After saving 1/4 cup of the water, the ginger is drained well.  Then the water, the ginger and sugar go back into the pan. It's boiled until it thickens and the sugar goes from a liquid, to just forming crystals. 





It's then placed on a cooling rack to cool. 


Wah la!  Crystallized ginger!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

How much sugar?

Giddings Art said...

Thank you Sis!! It calls for 2 cups. But a lot falls through the cooling rack that I pre-spray with oil. I think you could use less but I haven't tried it yet.

Unknown said...

I want to try to try this. Can you send me a piece? Please❤️

Gramma's Studio

  In my last post I mentioned that my granddaughter was coming for a visit and we were going to go through the cabinets in my studio.  I als...