9/22/2019

Second Place!

We attended the opening of the Grand Prairie Arts Council Juried Art Show and Sale today.  It turned out to be a very nice show with some really amazing artwork.   My drawing,  "First Truck" won second place in the Drawing Division! 


Wayne has a friend who owns a large ranch in East Texas.  When his old truck quit running, he left it out in the pasture to rust.  Over the years, trees grew up around it, making it impossible to open the doors.  I love old trucks and cars and the rust just made it more appealing to me as a subject to draw.
This is the first time I have worked with Charcoal pencils.  

I was so surprised and pleased to have friends show up to support me and see my drawing today!  Jim, Cindy, Pat and Doug, your being there meant so much to me!!  Thank you!!

7 comments:

imdiane said...

Congratulations on winning a prize! This is such a great drawing! I'm glad I'm related to a prize winning artist!

The Constantines said...

Well done, though I think you are deserving of first place, Dawn.

Giddings Art said...

Diane, I will be related to a prize winning artist too, as soon as you enter some of your work! Thank you so much!

Mike, Thank you! I am not disappointed at all. The first place drawing was deserving. It was awesome!

Anonymous said...

We are SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! I was sure you would be recognized. It was a beautiful entry!

Giddings Art said...

Thank you Reta!! It's your encouragement that built the confidence I needed to enter a show in the first place. You're awesome!

Kim said...

Who says procrastination never pays? You leave an old truck in a field a couple of decades because "life is a little busy right now" and it turns into award-winning art. There is a method to the madness and I'm not alone! Love this piece! I'm so proud of you for keeping at it and pursuing your talents!

Giddings Art said...

Kim, this means so much coming from another award winning artist (and my daughter)! Thank you!

You just gave me an idea for an artist statement:
Perhaps I was captivated by this old truck because, inherently, I had the desire to validate the inaction of procrastination, because it's part of what temporizes me as an artist.

Gramma's Studio

  In my last post I mentioned that my granddaughter was coming for a visit and we were going to go through the cabinets in my studio.  I als...